“There is nothing that wastes the body like worry, and one who has any faith in God be ashamed to worry about anything whatsoever”
— Mahatma Gandhi
21 day detox fast
Read here for the background to why I am doing the fast.
Tuesday: 170.00 (go figure)
Wednesday, Official Day -1
- Drank coffee with cream, toast before my package arrived around two. Then officially began the ‘program.”
- Physically, suffered from an incredible and horrible headache, in my temples. But emotionally, a m a z i n g! (Oh, and it’s that time of the month.)
- Purchased a Dry Brush and teas from Community Pharmacy downtown.
- Cooked one of the veggie soups. Weird, I have to say but not bad. Broke down and used 1/2 tsp of salt. I think of everything I am giving up for these 21 days, salt the most difficult.
- Cooked chicken, salad and mac & cheese for dinner for the family. Good to cook a healthy meal, strange that I can’t eat it. Didn’t even taste it. But Tom said the chicken was “the best.”
Thursday, January 7th, Day 1
-- Haven't weighed today.
- Drank coffee this morning. Been thinking, on Tom’s advice that I shouldn’t try to quit cold-turkey. But had no half-and-half. (Missed the h&h. Sigh!)
- Got a Lymphatic Massage. ($80 or a package of three for $195.) Eek, this is starting to add up.
- While that was going on I began to think about areas of my life where I feel powerless and full of fear.
- That I am going to mess up my kids, because I’m learning so much but hopefully not too late!
- A situation from childhood that changed the direction of one relationship for more than thirty years. I’m going to do something about it.
The woman who gave me my massage was a bit “out there” but I resonated with the thought that when those worries come, don’t take them in. Hand them over to your higher goddess or in my case the Holy Spirit. Let go! Intentionally think through, yes visualize letting go of that worry and fear.
Yowza! I feel great. And hungry which isn’t great. I’m late on one of my drinks!
Drank Senna Tea (which is for constipation) and pureed bean soup from the book. Not bad. I have had enough for tonight too.
Friday, January 8th, Day 2
166 [go figure*]
*Tom says: “One who is on diet must weigh themselves at the same time and in the same circumstances (clothed or naked) etc, otherwise one can’t complain.” Thanks Confucius!
Woke up in the middle of the night, over and over with a stomach ache, air popping inside me (aren’t I discreet), pain when I would lay on my right side. It was miserable. Have the runs all day. The medicinal tea that I drank was Traditional Medicinals Organic Smooth Move SENNA. I think this tea should have a warning on it! Causes gas!
And the other thing I didn’t expect was peeing over and over, feels like when I was pregnant! I guess that makes sense, when all I am “eating” is liquids. And I’m still hungry though my mom says this will stop tomorrow. Yesterday I was hungry!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I juiced twice today. Beets, carrots, celery, apples, … it was yummy! For mid-day I juiced something similar. Yeah, I need to go to the store. You quickly run out of veggies.
I am also drinking:
- an 8 oz glass of water every two hours and a cup of tea,
- intermittently: a Garden Greens VegeSplash Super Orac Concentrated Greens Drink Mix, Zesty Tomato flavor. (It has 14 vegetables including Tomato, Kale and Spinach, 10 Green Foods including Spirulina, Barley Greens, Wheat Grass, Green Tea, Soy Fiber and Plant Based Enzymes.
- and Garden Greens 24 hr Inner Cleanse Daytime/Nighttime Formula.
I ate my black bean soup pureed, from last night’s dinner. I also cheated and backed two sweet potatoes in the oven, peeled and mashed them and ate them like that. No chewing so technically I guess it’s okay. It was delicious.
Saturday, January 9, Day 3
Last night I felt very sick. My stomach hurt terribly, though not in any one place really. An overall fullness and lots of gas. I just decided to go to bed and hope to wake to a better day. This am my stomach seems to be relieved but I have a headache. This may subside after half decaf/half regular coffee as I somehow slept until 9:30! Very strange to sleep so long since I went to bed so early. I woke to the smell of toasting raisin bread – and I wanted to die! I love bread in any shape or form. I will sip my coffee slowly and hope for the headache to subside.
Sunday, January 10, Day 4 and Monday, January 11, Day 5
Weighed in on Monday at 166, which for the life of me makes no sense.
- I’ve juiced and have been drinking water and taking supplements.
- walking (started walking a full mile and breaking a sweat.
- 15 minutes on the Chi machine, borrowed from mom.
- Also she brought me a Rebounder (small trampoline) which she got for cheap at Aldi. Two minutes on that thing wears me out!
- Had the devil of a time finding an Enema bag. Finally got one so that should be interesting. My first Coffee Enema today.
- The vapid hunger is lessening, just drink a Tomato Green Drink when I get hungry and drink water every 1/2 hour.
- I have been constipated ever since I recovered from the diarrhea of Friday?
Emotionally I considered quitting Sunday because I haven’t lost any weight. Tonya did the fast for 7 days and lost 9 pounds. I told Tom I must have a tumor. There is no way I can be eating like I am (rather drinking. I haven’t chewed anything since last Wednesday.) and NOT LOSE WEIGHT?????? My mom convinced me to give it a week. That would be until I weigh in on Wednesday.
Spiritually and Mentally I feel amazing! Seriously positive, and energized and hopeful! I
Tuesday, Jan 12, Day 6
Paavo Airola, one of the pioneers of fasting in America, states in his book How to Get Well” that “systematic under eating and periodic fasting are the two most important health and longevity factors.”
I am on day six of a twenty-one day fast. The theory is that our bodies are full of toxins from poor eating and drinking habits, our unhealthy environment, medications and general bad living. So, to have our body working at maximum efficiency one needs to flush it of all those toxins. My fast is based on the book 21 Pounds in 21 Days. The Martha’s Vineyard Diet Detox by Roni DeLUZ founder of the Martha’s Vineyard Holistic Retreat.
Down 6.5 pounds since a week ago Monday. I officially began in the fast Wednesday night, but I began to get my mind into it the Monday before. I was 170 at the highest and I was 146.5 lbs/39 bmi.
I went to Willy Street Co-op, became and member and bought grapefruits, oranges, apples, pineapple juice all to JUICE and cover the flavor of GREEN. That’s been the most difficult aspect of juicing green things is they taste like crap! Well, to be more literal they taste green. Like grass. Wicked bad. So I am smothering them with fresh squeezed juice. But the benefits of broccoli, kale, collard greens, lettuces, fennel, celery, etc are so high that I have to juice them daily.
Wednesday, January 13, Day 7
Didn’t walk, Did Chi, ran out of distilled water. Juiced fruit. I try to add green veggies and it’s just yuck! Constipated.
Thursday, January 14, Day 8
I’m not drinking enough water. Probably half that I should after looking at the daily schedule online. I am drinking coffee and that is “not allowed” so I will not drink it tomorrow. I was down to half decaf. I missed walking on Tuesday so I walked 1.6 miles and burned calories. I’ve been juicing more fruit than veggies. I have not done the Kidney Cleanse because I do not have the Goldenrod Tincture (though I have looked three places) and finally ordered it online. I absolutely can’t stand the green drinks and have revolted. I only drink the tomato and have ordered more. I made soup of root veggies last night and pureed it for dinner. Several nights I have eaten two small sweet potatoes baked in oven and then pureed. Wonder if these are bad? I’m low on energy. And today I feel bloody pissed!
Weight 164.5 lbs/41 BMI (-6.5)
I’m trying to figure out what I am doing wrong, what to tweak, because I feel like I am doing this for nothing. I have another Colonic today, so perhaps that will get out some of this rage. Because I am really angry! Need to call Tonya.
Juiced two giant carrots, celery and one grapefruit. It’s okay. Gagging it down. 11:00 am
Final report on Friday, january 15, day 9 & Saturday, Day 9 Weight 161 lbs (-9 lbs ) and the summation of this fast.