The Stations of the Cross

In a couple of week I will be a part of The Stations of the Cross exhibit in Madison Wisconsin.  It is a collaborative effort among 15 artists and musicians to create a week-long art exhibition as an experience of the 14 stations of the Passion of Christ in the final days of his human life. This…

Highs and Lows of being an Artist in the Church

I know how blessed I am by my church though most of the time I wish only for a few deep connections.   But a mega church blesses others when they can put on a quality mini-conference.  This weekend I attended the Pulse Arts conference sponsored by Blackhawk in Madison, WI.   It’s a unique event that…

Lessons from the Monastery: One of Five

Entering the monastery there is a sense of stepping outside of the line of time — real-time.  You have entered into kairos .  God time, as Eugene Peterson calls it. The people I encountered at the Holy Wisdom monastery were kind. You couldn’t tell who was who.  They may play a role in the running of…

If you are what you eat, I’m a Chocolate Croissant!

“You are what you eat.” If that is true, I am a Chocolate Croissant. I’ve felt righteously sorry for myself lately, it’s true!  And have eaten badly as a result.  I don’t exactly know why. And my foot is hurting and has been for about ten days.  Everything I do makes it ache and sometimes…

I quit Facebook. Let’s just say it’s complicated.

I recently quit Facebook.  And then came back.  There’s a lot behind the decision. Let’s just say it’s complicated. As we create a persona on Facebook, picking and choosing what we want people know about us, there is an air of the dramatic to it — don’t you think? This may be only a partly…

Reaching Out, Reaching Within

The danger is clear.  If you want to be with people, if you recognize a need for a healthier balance in that area of your life,  by the simple expression of it you might sound needy or afraid to be alone. As I reflected on this at length over the past twenty-four hours I realized…

“Community”

Here’s the thing.  I have had a lifelong yearning for connection. I think Henri Nouwen had the same thing going on. Nouwen’s understanding of the nature of life involved cultivating one’s self — inwardly, outwardly, and upwardly. But if I am very honest with myself the very things I long for with people I resist! …