Of the many things that one could do with their photography, this would be my dream. Telling stories that need telling. This photographer is incredibly talented, and tells his stories so well. I discovered him checking who the photographers were on the doctors without borders website report from Haiti. (I think.)
Jonothan Torgovnik is in Haiti right now. Be well, sir, be well. Tell the story that needs to be told.
Intended Consequences by Jonathan Torgovnik
An estimated 20,000 children were born from rapes committed during the 1994 genocide in Rwanda. Intended Consequences chronicles the lives of these women. Their narratives are embodied in portrait photographs, interviews and oral reflections about the daily challenges they face today. See the project at http://mediastorm.org/0024.htm
. I found the photographer’s reflections to be incredibly powerful.
Photography is truth.
Imagine Photography, LLC was first conceived when others began to approach me about my photography — asking if I would shoot their kids or for their publication. Others have seen my zeal for making life live on in photographs, as I was doing that for my family. And in 2007, after my youngest began school, I officially began Imagine Photography. (Please forgive the moment of self promotion.)
I really believe there are things nobody would see
if I didn’t photograph them. – Diane Arbus
I enjoy capturing life in unique ways and sometimes I charge for it. For many projects, I donate my time. I never want money to be an obstacle to creating an image of your family, so please do not let it keep you from contacting me. It is my way of giving back of my time and talents and it is my pleasure.
I shoot people (babies, children, families, seniors “old and young)” business events and parties (no weddings). I shoot for magazines & newspapers. I also have some fine art pieces for sale and I am working on a new project for showcasing in 2010.
I tell stories with my photography and would love to meet you and hear yours.
- For a photography session of any number of people (including animals): $135 per hour. For $75, I offer a disk of all the images and give you copyright to own and print the images.
- For an event: $145 per hour which includes 2 disks of all the images and give you the copyright to own and print the images.
- If I have to travel outside of Dane County, I include mileage.
- Prints can purchased individually from me.
For a list of client referrals, to schedule your shoot or to ask questions, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or call me at 608-516-4269.
It is one thing to photograph people.
It is another to make others care about them
by revealing the core of their humanness.- Paul Strand
“Photography is truth.” – Jean-Luc Godard
My New Years Resolutions …
I will Learn. See. Respond. Be …
- I will give more of my time, voice, and energy to the disadvantaged, oppressed, and forgotten in my community. (Immigrants, LGBT, homeless, unwed mothers, the illiterate.) To put myself in situations where I am the ethnic minority. If given opportunity, I will tell their stories through word and image.
- I will grow more of our own food. I will learn to can. I will shop locally, especially community based privately owned businesses.
- I will save more, spend less. I will live on a budget. I will continue to not buy clothes for myself for a year, until October, 2010. I will use the library.
- I will help us be a connected family. I will turn off electronics while the kids are awake. I will turn off electronics 4-8pm. And do more together. (e.g. Go to ballgames, the symphony & opera, plays (The Lion King), go camping, …) We will call cousins and other family members.
- I will continue to work at staying depression free. I will work the 12 steps. I will exercise every day, if only 20 minutes. I will taper off Effexor.
- I will write for an hour every day of the work week. About … What I am thankful for. What I want to know. What I think. Who I need to hear from.
- I will read with intentionality. (On race, gender & the church, faith, poverty, global issues …)
- I will play my piano and find an avenue to sing.
- I will work on a photography project with the goal of a gallery showing and work on a website for online sales & exhibition.
- I will take Tom to Big Ben before he’s 50.
A year of images : the people, places and things. I shot this year. (This will take you to a SET of my photography on the www. flickr.com. Click on SLIDE SHOW in the upper right hand corner when you get there.)
Be well, friends. Be well. And if you feel like it, drop me a word about what you’d like to accomplish in 2010.
It is also what my brain feels like today. I’m starting to really have a pit in my stomach about the state of the economy, every day I am aware of the cost of the most basic things. I just feel down by it all, dragged down. It is all madness!
(These are trees really played around with in a program called Picnik. )